Gliderol Garage Doors


  • Error loading feed data.



B__W_Shot_1960Mayor of Glenelg, John Mack, convened a public meeting to inaugurate the Club, which took place at the Glenelg Town Hall on March 10th. Although no League position was available for the Club in 1920 the President of the Glenelg Oval Association, George Soward, received a letter from the South Australian Football League stating the situation would be remedied in 1921. A draft constitution was prepared, as was a set of rules.


The Glenelg Football Club entered the South Australian League competition with G K Soward as President, H G McKittrick (Chairman), E A Rugless (Secretary) and J Hanley (Captain-Coach).


R Head replaced J Hanley to become the Club's second Coach.


E Anthoney replaced G K Soward as President.


D Smith (Coach) and C Hoft (Captain) replaced F Pincombe (Coach) and W Mills (Captain) who both resigned
early in the year. T Lock became President.


On May 2, Glenelg won its first League game, at Glenelg Oval, beating 1924 premiers West Torrens 12.6 (78) to
10.10 (70) after losing 56 games in succession.


Glenelg finishes seventh and off the bottom for the first time. Len Sallis wins the first of five Best and Fairest Awards.
E Anthoney returns as President and Jim Handby becomes Coach.


G B 'Blue' Johnston plays his first season.


Jim Handby wins the Magarey Medal.


Roy Brown becomes Captain-Coach.


Jim Handby reappointed Captain-Coach. Phar Lap wins the Melbourne Cup.


Glenelg improves from seventh in the previous five seasons to sixth on the Premiership table.


Jack Owens tops the goalkickers for the ninth successive season with 102 goals to become the
Club's first centurion.


Jack Owens becomes Captain and Bruce McGregor is Coach.


Glenelg wins its first Premiership by defeating Port Adelaide 18.15 (123) to 16.18 (114).
G B 'Blue' Johnston wins theClub's second Magarey Medal and Len Sallis wins his fifth
Best and Fairest Award.


Glenelg goes from top to bottom and E A Rugless retires after 15 years as Secretary.


W A Scott becomes the ninth Coach in 16 years. Former player Bill Milhinch becomes Secretary.


G B 'Blue' Johnston wins his third Best and Fairest


R Goodwin is appointed Captain; R Brown returns as Coach and Ray Curnow retires as a player.


C G Tolley retires after 10 years as Chairman. Outbreak of World War Two.


Mel Brock wins the Club's third Magarey Medal.


Marcus Boyall makes it back-to-back Magarey Medals, the Club's fourth win. Ray Curnow takes
over as Coach and Edward Rix becomes Chairman.


The League competition is suspended due to the War. Glenelg combines with West Adelaide and
is coached by Ray Curnow in 1943-44.


The League competition resumes. Germany and Japan surrender to the Allies.


Norm Betson resigns after a short stint as Coach and is replaced by Ray Curnow.


Colin Churchett tops the goalkicking with 66 goals.


The last season Glenelg wears its gold with black V guernseys.


The black with gold sash guernseys are adopted. Allan Crabb loses the Magarey on a countback
to Ron Phillips (North Adelaide) but was retrospectively awarded the Medal in 1998.


The Taylor brothers, Johnny (Captain-Coach), Don and Laurie transfer from West Adelaide and
Glenelg reaches its second Grand Final, losing to Norwood.


Colin Churchett (102) tops the century goalkicking mark for the second successive year.


The Taylor brothers dominate. Johnny is Captain-Coach, Laurie (39) head the goalkickers and wins
the Best and Fairest.


Pat Hall replaces Taylor as Captain-Coach. Neil Davies becomes Glenelg's first All-Australian.


Ray Curnow begins his 19-year reign as Secretary.


Allan Crabb becomes Captain and Charles "Chooka" May as Coach.


Mr G A C Ford begins a 10-year period as President and Neil Davies tops the goalkickers and wins
the Best and Fairest.


Neil Davies becomes Captain.


Neil Davies becomes Captain-Coach.


Glenelg reaches the finals for the fifth time and finishes third. Edward Rix retires after 16 years
as Chairman.


Mr S R P Walker becomes Chairman.


Haydn Linke is runner-up to Sturt's John Halbert in the Magarey Medal after only 29
League games and also missing several games during the season.


Doug Long becomes the Club's fourth Captain and Coach in four years.


Colin Richens wins the third of his four Best and Fairest Awards.


Glenelg returns to finals football - after finishing fourth; Harry Kernahan is made skipper
and Len Fitzgerald becomes Coach. The Footballers' Club opens its doors for the first time.


Tom Bonnily begins a 13-year reign as Chairman.


J B Martin elected President; Glenelg finishes 10th for the only time - a year best forgotten.


Neil Kerley is appointed Captain-Coach. A position he holds for three years before becoming
nonplaying Coach for seven years. Kerley also wins the Best and Fairest. This season is
recognised as the turning point in the history of the Glenelg Football Club. J B Martin organised
and started the TIC (Tiger Incentive Club) the first in Australia.


In mid-season John H Ellers replaces JB Martin an President to begin a 13-year reign.


Glenelg plays in its third Grand Final - losing to Sturt; D K "Fred" Phillis wins the Club's
fifth Magarey Medal and tops the League goalkickers with 137 goals. Brian Colbey becomes
our second All-Australian.


Ken Eustice is Captain and Fred Phillis (107) reaches the century mark again.


Peter Marker starts a seven year stint as Captain and wins the Best and Fairest. Fred Phillis
does it again with 102 goals


Graham Cornes wins the second of three Best and Fairest Awards.


Glenelg wins its second Premiership after 39 years, beating North Adelaide 21.11 (137) to
19.16 (130) in the last Grand Final played at Adelaide Oval. During the season they won 22
of 23 games. Harry Kernahan begins his 14 years as Secretary-General Manager. First Board
of Directors formed consisting of J H Ellers (President), Tom Bonnily, Warren Brown,
Ern Palmer, Harry Kernahan, Brian Laing and George Rolfe.


Glenelg is beaten by Sturt in the first Grand Final at Football Park.


Runners-up again. This time to Norwood. Fred Phillis kicks 128 goals. On August 23 Glenelg
defeats Central District 49.23 (317) to 11. 13 (79) with John MacFarlane hitting the post in the
dying seconds to deny the Tigers their 50th goal.


Glenelg finishes third. Fred Phillis kicks 104 goals.


John Nicholls becomes Coach. Port Adelaide beats Glenelg by eight points in the Grand Final.


Graham Comes becomes Captain and Kym Hodgeman wins the Magarey Medal, the Club's Best
and Fairest and headed the goalkickers with 51 majors.


Paul Weston is appointed Captain and John Halbert Coach. Graham Cornes, Kym Hodgeman and
Peter Carey are named All-Australians.


Full Back Keith Kuhlmann is made an All-Australian and Graham Cornes wins the Tassie Medal.


John H Ellers retires as President. Bob Campbell becomes President, Brian Corcoran is Chairman
and Peter Carey wins his third Best and Fairest. Glenelg finishes second on the Premiership ladder.


Runners-up again. Tony McGuinness wins the Magarey Medal and the Tigers' Best and Fairest;
Graham Cornes reaches the 300-game milestone.


Peter Carey starts the first of six years as Captain; Graham Campbell becomes Coach; Stephen
Kernahan tops the Magarey Medal count by nine votes, but is ineligible due to a one-match
suspension during the season. Tony Antrobus (North Adelaide) wins the Medal and Kernahan
is made an All-Australian.


Glenelg finishes third. Peter Carey is suspended for attempted striking and misses the Preliminary


Graham Cornes takes over as Coach and leads the Tigers to their third Premiership - beating North
Adelaide 21.15 (141) to 12.12 (84).


Glenelg wins back-to-back flags with its fourth Premiership - despite losing Stephen Kernahan
(Carlton) and Tony McGuinness (Footscray) to the VFL - beating the Roosters again 21.9 (135)
to 12.15 (87). Graeme Bignell is elected President and Chris McDermott becomes an All-Australian.


North gains revenge in the Grand Final. John Robinson starts nine years as Chairman; Laurie
Rosewarne is appointedGeneral Manager on the retirement of Harry Kernahan; Scott Salisbury
is made All-Australian; Chris McDermott becomes the Club’s first dual All- Australian, Peter Carey
plays his 400th League game and John MacFarlane reaches the 300-game milestone.


Runners-up again. Chris McDermott wins his third Best and Fairest Award. On May 14,
Peter Carey plays his record 447th game.


Chris McDermott is appointed Captain.


Runners-up again. Craig MacIntosh is elected President. John Fidge kicks 124 goals.
David Marshall plays his 300th League game.


The formation of the Adelaide Crows sees Glenelg suffer greatly with the loss of Coach Graham
Cornes, Fitness Director Trevor Jaques, Team Manager Rex Leahy and players Chris McDermott
(Captain) David Marshall, Matthew Liptak, Clayton Lamb, Robbie Thompson, Michael Murphy,
Rod Jameson and Allan Bartlett.


Another Grand Final defeat to Port Adelaide. John Seebohm plays his 300th League game.


Nick Chigwidden becomes Captain; Mark Williams replaces Kym Hodgeman as Coach and
Glenn Elliott replaces Laurie Rosewarne as General Manager.


Nick Chigwidden wins his fourth successive Best and Fairest Award


Former Glenelg wingman Tony Symonds replaces Mark Williams as Coach. In mid-season Peter
Hood replaces Craig MacIntosh as President.


Brian Scott is elected Chairman after many years of service to the Tigers’ cause replacing John
Robinson and first-year recruit Ben Thompson wins the Best and Fairest.


Wayne Stringer is appointed Coach. Adrian Battiston replaces Glenn Elliott as General Manager
and Grant Reubenicht wins the Best and Fairest.


Tony McGuinness is appointed Senior Coach. Nick Chigwidden plays 250 games and Dwaine
Kretschmer wins the Club’s Best and Fairest. Jeff Zadow is appointed General Manager at the
end of the season.


Glenelg plays its 1500th League game on June 5. Pride of the Bay, the history of the Glenelg
Football Club, is launched on August 21 and sold-out within a month. The Club makes a return
to finals action after finishing third. Richard Kelly wins the Best and Fairest.


After restoring the club to financial health, Peter Hood announces his retirement as President after six
years at the helm. Inspirational leader Nick Chigwidden, retires after 293 games and eight seasons as
captain. Martin Mellody wins the Best and Fairest.


Brenton Honor takes over as Senior Coach and Rob Rabone is elected President. Simon Hele is appointed
Captain and 1999 Queensland recruit, Paul Sherwood, wins the Best and Fairest from 2001 Claremont
recruit, Phil MacKenzie. Twenty-five former champions are inducted into the Hall of Fame at a glittering
black-tie Dinner. An era ends, as much-loved former President, Great of Glenelg, #1 Ticketholder and
Glenelg icon, John H. Ellers, (1968-2001), and loyal Club Doctor (1967-1996), Dr Bill Duguid pass away.
The Club secures a 21 year lease over Glenelg Oval and begins work on a $3million extension and upgrade
of the Clubrooms.


The Glenelg Function Centre is officially opened on August 31 by the Mayor of City of Holdfast Bay,
Brian Nadilo. James Byrne wins the Best and Fairest. Simon Hele retires after playing 200 games. Tony
McGuinness and Brian Colbey are inducted into the Hall of Fame.


The 1973 Premiership team reunited at the Hall of Fame Dinner, which saw two new inductees, John Seebohm
and Laurie Rosewarne. David Noble is appointed Senior Coach. Rob Rabone retires as President.


William Neely wins consecutive Best and Fairest Awards. Stephen Copping and Wayne Phillis are inducted into
Hall of Fame.


Nick Chigwidden and Tony Hall are inducted into the Hall of Fame. It is a controversial year as 5 Board
Members resign and Peter Simmons is terminated from his coaching position, although a new board is formed
and the club has a fresh start. Adam Fisher was awarded Best & Fairest and a reunion of the 1985 Premiership
Team was celebrated.


Mark Mickan takes over as Senior Coach. A reunion of the 1986 Premiership Team was celebrated and Doug
Longand Ross Gibbs were inducted into the Hall of Fame. Brett Backwell won the Magarey Medal and was
also awarded the Best & Fairest. Glenelg Oval was renamed Challenge Recruitment Oval.


The League team make the finals for the first time since 1999, finishing 4th on the ladder. The Reserves team,
Coached by Michael Godden win the Reserves Premiership. Tony Symonds and Marcus Boyall are inducted
into the Hall of Fame. Former Hawk Ben Kane wins the Best and Fairest, and Captain Ben Mules is runner up.
Former Captain Ben Moore announced his retirement after playing 123 games for the Tigers.


The League team finished minor premiers for the first time since 1981. All four grades participated in the finals
series, with the Under 19’s winning the Premiership in the last year of the U19 competition. The League team
was defeated by Central Districts in the Grand Final. The League team recorded its longest winning streak since
1981, fourth longest in the Club’s history - 12 wins in a row. The largest crowd at Challenge Recruitment Oval
since 1988 was recorded in round 12 against Sturt with 11,827 people flocking to the Oval. A Total of 51,823
people came through the gates on match day at Challenge Recruitment Oval in 2008. Ty Allen won the Best &
Fairest, Scott Lewis was awarded the Reserves Magarey Medal. Glenelg Veteran Paul Sherwood (190 games)
and Matthew Bode (67 SANFL, 108 AFL games) announced their retirements. Renovations were completed on
the License Club facilities in April 2008 and launched as The Bay Bar & Bistro and The Bay Function Centre.


The League team finished as Minor Premiers again for the second year in a row. The reserves and Under 18s win
Premierships whilst the Under 16s finnish 2nd to Norwood. The League team disappoint by going out in straight
sets finishing 3rd behind Central and Sturt. Adam Fisher wins Best and Fairest narrowly from Ty Allen. Gliderol
Garage Doors first year as oval naming rights and Major Sponsor. Glenelg Oval becomes Gliderol Stadium at
Glenelg. Steven Barratt replaces Darren Chandler as CEO. Mark Mickan signs for a further 2 years as Senior
Coach. Fred Drolsbach and Graham Ferrett are awarded Life Membership.


The League team finished fourth at the end of the major round and our Reserves Team finished sixth. Newly
appointed Under 18 Coach Kris Massie lead the Under 18s to their second consecutive Premiership and the
Under 16s finished second. Neville Caldwell and David Holst are inducted into the Glenelg Football Club Hall
of Fame.Ty Allen scoops the J.H Ellers E.R Curnow Awards night taking home the Best & Fairest Award,
R.E Campbell Best Team Man, E.R Curnow Award and Players Player Award. Four senior players announced
their retirements - Josh Carr (43 SANFL , 270 AFL Games, Matthew Bode (87 SANFL 108 AFL), Josh Willoughby
(56) and Wayde Mills (43). Gliderol Stadium enjoyed the highest overall attendance to SANFL matches in 2010
reaching 41,911. Rob Nelson replaces Steven Barratt as CEO.


The League finished fifth, losing to South Adelaide in the Elimination Final. The Reserves team won the flag under
coach Ken McGregor. The Under 18 side, coached by Tim Lawrence, made it into the Grand Final, only to be defeated
by Port Adelaide. The Under 16s were competitive to finish fourth. Arthur Link and Simon Hele are inducted into the
Glenelg Football Club Hall of Fame. Ben Kane wins the Best and Fairest Award. Trevor Cranston retires after 8 years
with the club. Kris Massie is appointed Senior Coach. Oval lights are approved at Gliderol Stadium, allowing for night
football games in 2012.


The League team coached by Kris Massie finished 6th. The Reserves team coached by Steve Symonds also finished 6th
whilst the U/18 team coached by Adam Blakely finished in 5th place and the U/16’s coached by Darren Tull finished as
Runners Up. Ty Allen for the third time wins the Club Best and Fairest Award along with the Best Team Man and ER
Curnow Awards. Our first game under lights at Gliderol Stadium versus West Adelaide attracts an attendance of 6,047.
Sam Rudolph is Runner up to Ty in the Best and Fairest Award and also retires after 5 years and 102 games with the club.
Young players Ben Kennedy is drafted to Collingwood, Tim O’Brien to Hawthorn and Brodie Murdoch to St Kilda.

Join Newsletter

Tigers on Facebook

Tigers on Twitter